Top 10 List of Indianapolis!

Downtown Indianapolis
I have lived in Indianapolis since the end of 2009. It has been almost four complete years here and this year I decided I have to start "experiencing" more of what Indianapolis has to offer. There may be a day where I am no longer living here and I do not want to regret that I didn't do that one thing here. This city has a lot to offer. We have hosted a Super Bowl, we host one of the biggest events of the year called the Indianapolis 500, and we have nice people nicknamed Hoosiers! So here is my David Letterman style (born in Indianapolis by the way) Top 10 List of Indianapolis. All photos are taken by me, I really like taking pictures.

10. Victory Field: This is where the Indianapolis Indians, minor league baseball team, plays. It is must see during the spring or summer. Most of the time the team is good and there are special sales during the week like $1 food on the menu and Buy one, get one free ticket.
Victory Field
9. Indianapolis Museum of Art: It doesn't get much better than going to a museum for free and this is what this museum and grounds offers. You may have to pay a price for special exhibits. The grounds is really nice. The Lilly House during the Christmas time is beautiful and highly recommended. It is also really nice to go in Spring and see all the flowers bloom. They also have the LOVE sign replica here where many people take engagement pictures and wedding photos.
Lilly House at Christmas
8. Crown Hill Cemetery: This was a hidden gem only recently found. They offer various tours throughout each month for only $5. The tour was about history of the cemetery and the famous people in the cemetery. This is quite a lot of history in Indianapolis and it was really neat to learn some interesting facts. It may seem a little odd to tour a cemetery but it also offers one of the best views of downtown Indianapolis.
Crown Hill Cemetery
7. Eagle Creek Park: We got a year long pass to Eagle Creek because we wanted to take our dog on longer walks and we really enjoy being outdoors. We started going in the spring and saw the colors turn in fall. It was gorgeous. There are many walking and running paths offered at this park. They also have kayaking, boating, bird watching, and fishing.
Eagle Creek Park
6. Soldiers and Sailors Monument (Monument Circle): I don't know how many times I have been down to Monument Circle and never walked the stairs to the top to see the view it has to offer. It is free to walk up all 331 steps or you can take the elevator for $3. We chose to walk up all of the steps and it was a workout! Once we got up there though, it was worth it. I highly recommend if you are just down there browsing, take a chance to go up in it. It is only offered on select days and times.
Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Night View of Monument Circle
5. Lucas Oil Stadium: This is the best NFL stadium built right now (2013, almost 2014). You get the best of two worlds with having the means to open the roof when it is beautiful outside and close it when it is terrible! I have seen Kenny Chesney here and of course, the great Indianapolis Colts. I also have been on the field in a welcome home ceremony from a deployment to Iraq. I think every seat is a good seat and I honestly mean that. I also made it up on the jumbotron one time. No wonder I favor this stadium!
Lucas Oil Stadium
4. Canal Walk: When my husband (boyfriend at the time) first moved to Indianapolis, he lived right on the canal. We had such a good time enjoying the 3 mile walk during the Spring, Summer, and Fall. It takes your right by multiple museums including the Indiana State Museum, Eiteljorg, and NCAA Hall of Champions Museum. They also offer paddle boats and bikes to enjoy for a price. They even have a segway tour that I have yet to do. One of the best parts is some of the memorials or monuments on the canal. They have a USS Indianapolis memorial, a 9/11 Memorial, and a Medal of Honor Memorial. They all are really nice and worthy of stopping to take a look.
9/11 Memorial on 9/11/2013
3. St. Elmo's Steakhouse: St. Elmo's…what can you say. This is my favorite restaurant in Indianapolis. If you go, you must absolutely try the Shrimp Cocktail. It is world-known and delicious. Be careful how much cocktail sauce you use, you may end up a quite teary-eyed. The steaks are also to me, the best. I have tried many of the fine-dining establishments in Indianapolis and this one still is the best. It is an experience to go here.
St. Elmo's Steakhouse
2. Indiana War Memorial: This holds a special place for me and my husband. We were married here and our reception was also held here. We fell in love with this place for many reasons. The museum is massive here and free. They have a gorgeous American flag in the top of the building that you again, must walk up many steps to see. The building is full of limestone and marble and you will not see many places like it in Indianapolis. Interesting fact: Indianapolis has the 2nd most memorials dedicated to War/Military right after Washington D.C. Across
Indiana War Memorial
1. Indianapolis Motor Speedway: I am not an Indy Car Fan. So you may be asking why would I have the IMS as my Number 1. My husband and I went to the Indy 500 one year. It was HOT, sweaty, and an experience. I really feel that everyone needs to go here at least once to see the Indy 500. One of the biggest reasons I picked the IMS is due to a tour my husband and I took here. It cost $25, we were able to ride on they track at a good 35 mph. We got out at the pagoda, kissed the bricks, and then headed into the media center. We also were able to go up to the Winner's Circle and the Owner's Suite in the Pagoda which was very neat. I cannot tell you how much we loved this tour. This also gave you admission into the museum which allowed you to sit in an Indy Car and see many of the winning vehicles. This is a MUST visit place in Indianapolis!
Pagoda at the IMS


Comments